Authorities may be getting closer to solving the murder of a Jupiter Farms man who was killed outside his home in October.
The Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office served a search warrant at the home of a Miami Gardens man whose silver 2013 Mercedes was seen speeding off after 63-year-old David Middleton was shot to death, according to The Miami Herald.
Ronell Antoine Campbell, a 33-year-old felon with a violent past, has not been charged in the murder, but detectives hope that DNA will place him at the scene of the Oct. 17 shooting, the Herald reported while citing contents of the search warrant.
Campbell will be in court Friday facing felony charges after police found him in possession of 9mm ammunition clip after they went to his Miami Gardens home a day after Middleton’s shooting. Campbell ran from police and tossed away a handgun but was arrested after swimming across a canal, the Herald said.
A 9mm handgun was used to shoot Middleton, the Herald wrote.
At least three neighbors saw the Mercedes near Middleton’s home the day of the shooting and one neighbor jotted down the vehicle’s license plate. Later that day, Middleton walked into the Miami Gardens Police Department and reported that his license plate had been stolen the day before.
Records show that Middleton worked in the food service industry and had operated a specialty marketing business since the late 1990s. According to the Florida Department of State Division of Corporations, Middleton was president of Foodservice Specialty Marketing LLC, which incorporated in Jupiter Farms as a limited liability company in August 2014.
Middleton won a $789,000 judgment from a woman — Rose Goretti Destin — who allegedly stole 3,800 bags of black beans that Middleton was storing at a Miami warehouse.
The beans were to be sold to the fast-food chain Pollo Tropical but were later shipped to Haiti, the Herald said.
A judge ruled that Destin turn over complete control of her company to Middleton by Oct. 18, one day before his body was found by a UPS driver making a stop at the man’s home.
A PBSO spokeswoman declined comment Monday evening because the case remains open.
In 2008, Campbell was involved in a gunbattle in Miami’s Little Haiti neighborhood that left a toddler paralyzed. He was not charged in that case.