You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to myPalmBeachPost.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and bonus content- exclusively for subscribers. Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks

X

Welcome to myPalmBeachPost.com

This subscriber-only site gives you exclusive access to breaking news, in-depth coverage, exclusive interactives and bonus content.

You can read free articles of your choice a month that are only available on myPalmBeachPost.com.

Police: Boy who crashed car near Mar-a-Lago was suicidal


A teenager who ran into a fence four blocks from Mar-a-Lago just before President Donald Trump arrived Friday evening was attempting suicide and previously called in terrorist threats to CNN, according to Palm Beach police.

The boy, whose name was redacted from a police report because of his age, was reported as a missing suicidal teen, armed and dangerous with a baseball bat and a metal pipe. According to the report, officers found the bat and pipe in the white Dodge Charger belonging to his mother after the teen crashed it into a construction fence shortly before 6:50 p.m. in Palm Beach.

>> DONALD TRUMP IN PALM BEACH: Latest news, photos, videos

Trump’s motorcade arrived at Mar-a-Lago about 7:10 p.m. The report didn’t mention Trump’s arrival, or whether the Secret Service considered the teen to be a credible threat to the president.

The boy was apprehended by a Palm Beach County Sheriff’s deputy after he backed into a fence on Via Palma, which is within the Secret Service-mandated restricted zone around Mar-a-Lago, the report said. He told officers he ran into the fence while turning around to try to drive into the Intracoastal Waterway and kill himself, according to the report.

The report said the teen drove past two security checkpoints “at a high rate of speed” in the 800 block of South County Road, just north of its intersection with South Ocean Boulevard. That area is restricted to ID-carrying residents only.

The boy was interviewed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation after, the report said, he and a few friends pretended to be refugees in January and prank-called CNN. Federal agents contacted the boy’s mother to set up an interview, according to the report, and they later met with an agent. It wasn’t clear when he was interviewed. The teen told police that the agent told him being “interviewed by the FBI in reference to terrorism” would be on his “permanent record.”

“[The boy] stated that he thought his ‘life was over’ and would never get accepted to a college or acquire a decent job,” the report said. “[He] stated he then went home and attempted to commit suicide by shooting himself with a firearm.”

When he couldn’t find bullets, the report said, the boy took his mother’s Charger, which he drove in excess of 110 mph on Northlake Boulevard and on I-95 “in hopes to crash into another vehicle to kill himself.”

Police said witnesses called 911 when they saw the Charger traveling at about 80 mph down South County Road in Palm Beach.

The report said he hit a traffic sign and ran at least two red lights in Midtown while heading south toward the restricted zone.

The investigation was turned over to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office, according to the report. The sheriff’s office on Saturday said the boy was given a traffic citation and was ordered to undergo a mental health evaluation at the JFK North/West Palm Behavioral Health center in West Palm Beach.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

More millenials live with parents in S. Florida than anywhere else
More millenials live with parents in S. Florida than anywhere else

A new study suggests that millennials in South Florida live with their parents at a higher rate than anywhere else in the country. >> Read more trending news  The study conducted by Abodo found that 44.8 percent of millennials in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach area still live with their parents. That’s the highest percentage...
Man whose parents locked him away for 2 years wants them to stay in prison
Man whose parents locked him away for 2 years wants them to stay in prison

For two years, Mitch Comer’s mother and stepfather, Sheila Comer and Paul Comer, kept him locked inside a bedroom in his family’s rental home in Georgia. He was shut off from the outside world and even his two younger sisters until September 2012. By then, Comer, who was 18 at the time, was loaded on a bus and sent to Los Angeles with...
Inmate accused of plotting murders of sexual assault victims
Inmate accused of plotting murders of sexual assault victims

An inmate in a Pennsylvania jail the Allegheny County Jail is accused of plotting the murders of five juveniles who accused him of sexual assault. Michael Scherbanic, 29, a prisoner in the Allegheny County Jail and is now charged with 27 new criminal counts, including solicitation to commit criminal homicide.  >> Read more trending news...
NEW: Man resembling sexual predator seen near Jensen Beach park
NEW: Man resembling sexual predator seen near Jensen Beach park

A person resembling a violent sexual predator recently released from prison was spotted Wednesday near a Jensen Beach park, the Martin County Sheriff’s Office said. An anonymous caller reported that 65-year-old Ernest Eugene Reigh was near Indian Riverside Park, off Sewall’s Point Road about two miles north of the Hutchinson Island Causeway...
Dalia Dippolito lawyers seek contempt charge against prosecutors
Dalia Dippolito lawyers seek contempt charge against prosecutors

Less than a week after the judge issued a gag order against lawyers in Dalia Dippolito’s upcoming murder solicitation retrial, her attorneys are asking him to hold prosecutors in contempt for allowing Boynton Beach Police to keep a viral video from the case on the department’s YouTube page. Defense attorney Greg Rosenfeld on Tuesday filed...
More Stories