NEW: Defense says Austin Harrouff’s ‘Dr. Phil’ interview tapes incomplete


The defense attorneys for Austin Harrouff, the 20-year-old Jupiter man charged with killing two people and biting one of their faces in Martin County last year, say that the interviews between their client and TV’s Dr. Phil McGraw that have been provided to the court are not complete, according to court records.

Attorney Nellie King wrote in a motion this week that the extended interview requested by an assistant state attorney from the production company for “Dr. Phil” this year has been edited. The motion does not specify how the attorneys know something is missing.

In court Tuesday, Judge Lawrence Mirman granted the motion, according to court records. Now the defense is expected to subpoena the production company to get the complete interview.

Harrouff is charged with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of attempted murder in the Aug. 15, 2016, fatal attacks of John Stevens III and his wife, Michelle Mishcon at their home on Southeast Kokomo Lane, just north of the Palm Beach County border. Authorities said Harrouff also tried to kill a neighbor, Jeff Fisher, but he got away and called for help. The homicides made international headlines news after authorities revealed Harrouff was found biting the face of Stevens when they arrived at the scene.

On anniversary of Austin Harrouff slayings, father’s death haunts son

In the original 22-minute edited interview released earlier this year, Harrouff tells “Dr. Phil” that he doesn’t remember what happened that night but that he didn’t want it to have happened. At one point he talks about having superpowers and extended his apologies to the families of Stevens and Mishcon.

“I didn’t know if it was reality or a dream. It’s like waking up from a nightmare,” Harrouff says.

In September, the defense, state and Peteski Productions, the production company for the “Dr. Phil” show, all filed arguments stating why the extended 100-minute version either should or should not be released. The state argued the interview in its entirety was needed for prosecution. Peteski Productions asked if the extended version was released, that a watermark be used so it would be protected by copyright. Harrouff’s attorneys asked that the interview not be released at all.

Mirman ruled the recordings be released with a watermark because they were “highly relevant.”

It’s unclear what may be in the additional hour and 20 minutes or how much longer the video actually is if Harrouff’s attorneys are able to obtain more from the production company.

Although there is no date set in the court record, the next hearing will address whether the video can be released to the public. Harrouff’s lawyers have argued that it will only bring prejudice to their client. King and the other lawyers previously made this argument in February, but Mirman ruled the tapes should be released.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

NEW: Two injured, two in custody after crash in Boynton Beach
NEW: Two injured, two in custody after crash in Boynton Beach

Two people were injured and two were taken into custody after a crash in Boynton Beach Friday evening, according to city police. At 6:10 p.m., investigators say a Toyota Camry fled from a traffic stop and crashed into a a Palm Tran Connection bus on the 2000 block of Federal Highway, just south of Woolbright Road. The driver and the passenger of the...
NEW: 15 people displaced after fire in Lake Worth
NEW: 15 people displaced after fire in Lake Worth

A fire displaced seven adults and eight children from a Lake Worth apartment complex Monday evening, according to Palm Beach County Fire Rescue. Crews were called to a fire on the 1000 block of 10th Avenue South, just west of South Dixie Highway and south of Sixth Avenue South, where smoke was coming from an apartment. After making their way inside...
NEW: Brightline adds safety features at crossings
NEW: Brightline adds safety features at crossings

Brightline has positioned large electronic signs at several busy rail crossings along its route to warn the public that its new express trains move faster than other rail traffic and to urge people to stay off the tracks when the guard gates go down. Brightline officials said they plan to put 20 signs at crossings between the company’s two...
Megyn Kelly still angry at Jane Fonda, calls her ‘Hanoi Jane’ months after plastic surgery tiff
Megyn Kelly still angry at Jane Fonda, calls her ‘Hanoi Jane’ months after plastic surgery tiff

It seems that neither Megyn Kelly or Jane Fonda has forgotten about that awkward September interview in which Fonda shut Kelly down after the latter asked about possible plastic surgery. >> Read more trending news    In the interview, Kelly asked Fonda about aging and plastic surgery when she and Robert Redford were on &ldquo...
UPDATE: 18-year-old from Boynton Beach found safe

UPDATE, 6:00 p.m.: Boynton Beach police said 18-year-old Christian Azad Baig was found safe by Manalapan police. Original Story: Police are searching for an 18-year-old who was last seen leaving his Boynton Beach home Monday afternoon. Christian Azad Baig left his home on the 400 block of southwest Fourth Avenue, just north of Woolbright Road and west...
More Stories