breaking news

Brightline adds safety features at crossings

Mueller investigation: Former Trump campaign adviser George Papadopoulos pleads guilty


George Papadopoulos, who served as a foreign policy adviser for then-candidate Donald Trump before Trump won November’s presidential election, pleaded guilty earlier this month to making false statements to the FBI, according to court records released Monday.

>> Read more trending news

Papadopoulos pleaded guilty on Oct. 5 to lying to federal authorities investigating alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 election and possible ties to Trump campaign officials. Former FBI Director Robert Mueller was named special counsel to head the investigation in May.

Mueller's office released unsealed court records on Monday showing Papadopoulos admitted to misleading FBI agents during interviews on Jan. 27 and Feb. 17 about his contact with people thought to be connected to high-ranking Russian officials.

The case marks the first known guilty plea connected to the Mueller investigation.

>> Related: Mueller investigation: Paul Manafort, 2 other former Trump campaign staffers indicted

Papadopoulos told investigators that he understood that one of the Trump campaign's main foreign policy goals was to improve relations between Washington and Moscow. To that end, he tried several times to set up meetings between Trump campaign and Russian government officials.

He failed to disclose his attempts to authorities, despite inquiries from the FBI.

George Papadopoulos counts by National Content Desk on Scribd

He admitted that he lied about when he met a London-based professor who claimed that the Russians had "thousands of emails" that amounted to "dirt" on Trump rival Hillary Clinton. He told that he met the professor before joining the presidential campaign in March 2016 and attempted to downplay their communications, telling agents that he believed the professor "was 'BS'ing, to be completely honest."

However, officials determined that the meeting took place in London days after Papadopoulos joined the Trump campaign and that Papadopoulos kept contact with the professor for months. He believed the professor was well-connected in Russian government circles and communicated with him about foreign policy issues in an effort to arrange a “history making” meeting between Trump campaign and Russian government officials, court records show.

George Papadopoulos Plea Agreement by National Content Desk on Scribd

He also lied about his contact with an unnamed Russia woman, who he identified in an email as “(Russian President Vladimir) Putin’s niece,” and contact with a person who said he had connections to the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, court records show.

Authorities said Papadopoulos believed the unidentified Russian woman could help him to arrange a possible foreign policy trip to Russia. 

>> Related: Reports: Manafort, former Trump campaign chairman, told to surrender to federal authorities 

Officials indicated that Papadopoulos made moves to bury his ties to the professor and the person connected to the Russian Foreign Ministry when, one day after his second interview with FBI officials, he deactivated a longtime Facebook account that he kept "which contained information about communications he had with the Professor and the Russian MFA Connection," authorities said. He created a new Facebook page a short time later, which did not have the information on it. 

George Papadopoulos Statement of the Offense by National Content Desk on Scribd

Papadopoulos also switched to a new phone number that same month.

Authorities arrested Papadopoulos at Washington Dulles International Airport on July 27 and has since agreed to cooperate with investigators, according to court records.

Mueller’s investigation continues.

>> Related: What are Paul Manafort and Rick Gates charged with?

Two other Trump campaign advisers, former campaign manager Paul Manafort and his associate Rick Gates, were indicted on a slew of charges Friday, including accusations that they conspired against the United States. Both men turned themselves in to authorities Monday.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

NEW: 15 people displaced after fire in Lake Worth
NEW: 15 people displaced after fire in Lake Worth

A fire displaced seven adults and eight children from a Lake Worth apartment complex Monday evening, according to Palm Beach County Fire Rescue. Crews were called to a fire on the 1000 block of 10th Avenue South, just west of South Dixie Highway and south of Sixth Avenue South, where smoke was coming from an apartment. After making their way inside...
NEW: Brightline adds safety features at crossings
NEW: Brightline adds safety features at crossings

Brightline has positioned large electronic signs at several busy rail crossings along its route to warn the public that its new express trains move faster than other rail traffic and to urge people to stay off the tracks when the guard gates go down. Brightline officials said they plan to put 20 signs at crossings between the company’s two...
Megyn Kelly still angry at Jane Fonda, calls her ‘Hanoi Jane’ months after plastic surgery tiff
Megyn Kelly still angry at Jane Fonda, calls her ‘Hanoi Jane’ months after plastic surgery tiff

It seems that neither Megyn Kelly or Jane Fonda has forgotten about that awkward September interview in which Fonda shut Kelly down after the latter asked about possible plastic surgery. >> Read more trending news    In the interview, Kelly asked Fonda about aging and plastic surgery when she and Robert Redford were on &ldquo...
UPDATE: 18-year-old from Boynton Beach found safe

UPDATE, 6:00 p.m.: Boynton Beach police said 18-year-old Christian Azad Baig was found safe by Manalapan police. Original Story: Police are searching for an 18-year-old who was last seen leaving his Boynton Beach home Monday afternoon. Christian Azad Baig left his home on the 400 block of southwest Fourth Avenue, just north of Woolbright Road and west...
JUST IN: PBSO won’t charge man accused of trying to lure kids into car
JUST IN: PBSO won’t charge man accused of trying to lure kids into car

A man who allegedly tried to lure middle-school students into his car Jan. 12 in suburban Boynton Beach has spoken to law-enforcement authorities about the incident and is not facing any charges, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office. Students from Somerset Canyons Middle School told PBSO that the man approached them in a silver...
More Stories