Lottery suspends sales at 11 more stores after Post investigation


The Florida Lottery, suspecting fraud, has suspended sales at 11 more stores, bringing the total to 14 since a Palm Beach Post investigation revealed startling patterns of winners.

Two of the stores were owned by winners profiled in The Post’s investigation.

Amit and Nita Thakker have owned or operated various stores in and around Gainesville for years. Since 2005, they’ve cashed in 226 big lottery prizes worth more than $560,000.

Lottery officials seized equipment and turned off the terminals at their current store, the Williston Corner Market, about 30 minutes southwest of Gainesville.

“The Florida Lottery will not tolerate fraudulent activity by our players or retailers,” a lottery news release stated.

If the lottery’s investigation confirms that store owners or clerks fraudulently sold or redeemed tickets, the lottery will terminate their contract. They could face criminal charges as well, according to the news release.

The Post’s investigation found lottery winners who were cashing in tickets against incredible odds. The most prolific winner, for example, was cashing in a ticket worth $600 or more every 11 days, on average, for years.

The winning patterns were red flags that led other lotteries to uncover ticket theft by store employees, ticket cashers who helped people avoid paying taxes or child support and even criminals using the lottery to launder money.

One of the prolific winners told The Post that he’d been cashing in tickets for other people, a first-degree misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail.

Fort Pierce gas station owner Vipul Shukla has cashed in tickets 149 times, collecting $323,000, since 2006.

He previously told The Post that he’d been cashing in tickets for others, but he had stopped.

The lottery said Thursday it had suspended his store, the Midway Food Mart, 1200 W. Midway Road.

Seven of the suspended stores are in the St. Petersburg area. A Monday report by a Tampa-area TV station found that the owner of all seven stores had an unusually high number of wins.

Two other stores also had disproportionate wins by their owners.

The name of the man listed as the owner of La Rampa Supermarket, 2925 NW 27th Ave., in Miami, matches the name of the store’s top winner in lottery records. He has won 11 times at his own store since 2008, collecting nearly $36,000.

The man listed as the owner of the A&L Discount Beverage in Ocala has won at his store 17 times for $21,500 since 2006, lottery records show.

Both men had even more winning tickets from other stores.

The Post’s investigation, published March 30, found that six of the 10 most prolific winners in Florida since 2003 were store clerks or owners.

The chances of winning any lottery prize worth $600 or more are remote. Only one in every 8,700 scratch-off tickets sold is worth that much, and the rate is far worse for online games such as Play 4.

Mathematicians calculated that many of the top winners would have to spend millions to have a low chance of winning hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The Thakkers had said they had discovered a loophole in the lottery that allowed them to turn a profit every year playing the game. Experts and lottery officials discredited their explanation.

After suspending three Pompano Beach stores identified in The Post stories on April 2, the lottery three weeks later permanently revoked their licenses. The lottery said someone at the stores broke the law and won’t ever be allowed to sell tickets again.

The Post found that the lottery wasn’t following some industry best practices, including asking winners whether they work at stores that sell lottery tickets.

While the lottery has not adopted that rule, officials said they would adopt software to track frequent winners and install more self-checking machines at its outlets so that players don’t have to rely on store clerks to tell them if they have winning tickets.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

White nationalist at UF: More than 500 police officers fill campus
White nationalist at UF: More than 500 police officers fill campus

Florida’s flagship public university braced Thursday for a speech and rally by a white nationalist that was expected to bring thousands of protesters – and, some feared, violent demonstrations -- to its campus.  More than 500 police officers from city, county and state agencies were prepared to be on duty during the appearance of Richard...
NEW: Swimmer reported missing off Ocean Inlet Park near Boynton
NEW: Swimmer reported missing off Ocean Inlet Park near Boynton

A swimmer was reported missing early Thursday off Ocean Inlet Park, Palm Beach County Fire Rescue crews said. The man went into the water near the Boynton Beach Inlet with a woman but didn’t resurface, Palm Beach County sheriff’s authorities were told. Click here for more Breaking News from The Palm Beach Post The man’s friends called...
Freedom Rider recounts activism, Woolworth sit-in for Gardens students
Freedom Rider recounts activism, Woolworth sit-in for Gardens students

A Southern woman whose role in the civil rights movement landed her on the Ku Klux Klan’s most wanted list before she graduated college spoke to students Wednesday at The Weiss School. RELATED: White nationalist’s speech at UF has students angry, wary, curious Joan Trumpauer Mulholland, who is white, was a student at Tougaloo College, a...
IDs released on 3 teens dead after car goes airborne on Turnpike 
IDs released on 3 teens dead after car goes airborne on Turnpike 

Florida Highway Patrol officials have released the identities of those involved in a Turnpike crash where a car went airborne and smashed into a tollbooth. The three men who died in the Broward County crash are Matthew F. Bryan, 17, and Kevin F. Bryan, 18, both of Miramar; and Yostein L. Martinez, 18, of Hialeah Gardens.  Cesar O. Pina, 19, of...
PBC school board blasts legal team for blaming girls in sex abuse suit
PBC school board blasts legal team for blaming girls in sex abuse suit

Palm Beach County School Board members harshly criticized their own legal team Wednesday for suggesting in court filings that four young girls were partly to blame for their injuries after being sexually molested 12 years ago by their third-grade teacher. As they approved a $3.5 million legal settlement with the four former students, board members...
More Stories