John Goodman juror Dennis DeMartin’s saga comes to end


The long strange saga of the misbehaving juror in Wellington polo mogul John Goodman’s 2012 DUI manslaughter trial is finally over.

During a brief hearing on Friday, Palm Beach County Circuit Judge Jeffrey Colbath sentenced former Delray Beach resident Dennis DeMartin to 37 days in jail — the time the 72-year-old has already served — and sent him home to hopefully live the rest of his life in obscurity. He could have ordered DeMartin back to jail to complete a five-month, 29-day sentence.

» RELATED: Full coverage of the John Goodman case

“Thank God it’s over with,” a tearful DeMartin said as he was led from the courtroom by his son. “It’s been a terrible five years. I’m so happy it’s over with.”

At the hearing, DeMartin, who conducted a drinking experiment to discover for himself whether Goodman was drunk in the 2010 crash that killed 23-year-old Scott Wilson and lied about an ex-wife’s DUI arrest, apologized for his actions. He revealed his misdeed in a series self-published books.

“Simply put, this was a terrible tragedy I caused by being a juror on this case,” he told Colbath, his hands shaking as he read a prepared statement. “I should never have been a juror. I was not a good juror.”

He concluded: “I feel sincerely sorry for what happened.”

Colbath accepted DeMartin’s apology. “I think you finally get it,” Colbath said.

But, before letting DeMartin return to Connecticut where he lives in a government-subsidized apartment, the judge gave him a stern lecture.

“Maybe you don’t have a full appreciation of the carnage you caused the system,” he said.

DeMartin’s actions forced Colbath to throw out Goodman’s conviction and 16-year prison sentence. Fearing he couldn’t find jurors in Palm Beach County who hadn’t read about the case that snared national headlines, Colbath went to Tampa to pick jurors for the second trial in 2014. Those jurors were sequestered at the PGA National Resort during the roughly three-week trial, costing taxpayers about $54,000. Goodman was ultimately convicted a second time and handed the same sentence.

“I haven’t put a fine point to it but I’m confident (the cost) was in the hundreds of thousands of dollars,” Colbath said. “It was a huge undertaking because you refused to follow simple directions.”

But, he said, given DeMartin’s failing health, “I am persuaded you would be a burden on our criminal justice system.”

DeMartin was released from jail while the 4th District Court of Appeal considered whether Colbath’s sentence was appropriate. The appeals court recently upheld it, prompting Friday’s hearing.

In addition to citing DeMartin’s health problems, his attorney Paul Petillo pointed out that the six-month term far exceeded an eight-day sentence Palm Beach Circuit Judge Krista Marx handed another misbehaving juror last week.

Philip Elliott, who was released Thursday, said he encouraged a fellow juror to lie about what jurors did during a trial to help her overturn a first-degree murder conviction. Elliott, who said he was smitten by the female juror, forced Marx to order a third trial for Victor Salastier Diaz for his role in the shooting death of a bystander in the 2007 robbery of Three Amigos market in suburban Boynton Beach.

Colbath made no reference to Marx’s decision, instead focusing on the cost DeMartin heaped on the court system and the added grief he caused Wilson’s family.

Colbath said he had only one regret: “If you were a man of means I’d figure out a way to make you pay” for the costs of trying Goodman a second time, he said.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Sylvester Stallone assures fans he is 'alive and well' after death hoax goes viral
Sylvester Stallone assures fans he is 'alive and well' after death hoax goes viral

Actor Sylvester Stallone is the victim of a death hoax. A rumor claiming that the 71-year-old actor had passed away recently surfaced on social media — and he was not happy about it. >> Read more trending news  Stallone took to Twitter to express his annoyance. “Please ignore the stupidity,” the &ldquo...
Opinion: Appeasing the trigger gods

During his campaign, Donald Trump often bragged about his skill as a negotiator. In conversations, he ventured that, as president, he might be able to resolve two of the most thorny and tragic dilemmas: finding peace in the Mideast and reaching a sensible compromise on guns. He said he would hop in his limo and go to NRA headquarters in suburban Virginia...
Cerabino: Russia’s misinformation show features West Palm Beach star
Cerabino: Russia’s misinformation show features West Palm Beach star

If you’re the person who got paid to portray a jailed Hillary Clinton at a Donald Trump rally in West Palm Beach a few months before the election, please call me. I’d love to hear what you think of things now, 18 months later. You remember? Right? You were at City Place on Aug. 20, 2016, sitting in the back of a pickup truck that was decked...
Trump in Palm Beach: President leaves after a little golf, a lot of tweets and visit with shooting victims 
Trump in Palm Beach: President leaves after a little golf, a lot of tweets and visit with shooting victims 

UPDATE 6:55 p.m.: Air Force One landed at Joint Base Andrews at 6:14 p.m., according to White House pool reporters. The president, first lady and Barron Trump left the plane 9 minutes later. Trump didn’t answer a shouted question about gun control. The family then left  in the presidential motorcade. The motorcade arrived at the White House...
Habitat wants to build homes on Boynton Beach-owned scrub
Habitat wants to build homes on Boynton Beach-owned scrub

Habitat for Humanity of South Palm Beach wants to build 22 single-family affordable houses on land that the city and an elementary school have worked to preserve as scrub . The Palm Beach County School District deeded the land to the city in 2012 in a land-transfer program to build Galaxy Elementary School. The land &mdash...
More Stories