breaking news

Brightline adds safety features at crossings

Boss of ex-FAU prof Tracy ‘feared for his safety’ over conspiracy blog


In the early part of 2013, as Florida Atlantic University faculty and students alike were still reeling from the international attention the school was receiving because of professor James Tracy’s controversial blog Memory Hole, former school administrator Heather Coltman said it hardly seemed the right time to press Tracy about filling out a required form letting the faculty know about the blog.

Three years later, however, the failure to fill out that form became the basis for Tracy’s firing. And on Tuesday, it became the focus of testimony in a U.S. District Court trial over Tracy’s quest to get his job back and back pay and damages from the employers his lawyers say fired him for simply exercising his First Amendment rights.

Both Diane Alperin, who was the school’s vice provost when Tracy was fired, and Coltman, Tracy’s direct supervisor as dean of the College of Arts and Letters at the time, told jurors on Tuesday that Tracy was fired for insubordination after repeatedly refusing to fill out a form disclosing his work on Memory Hole. University administrators said he was required to fill out the form because he had a donation button on the blog, where, among other claims, he wrote his beliefs that the 2012 massacre at Newtown, Connecticut’s Sandy Hook Elementary School was a hoax.

>>Christie: Tracy-vs-FAU more about arrogance than free speech, insubordination

But back in 2013, as calls and emails poured into the school from around the world and reporters showed up to the school in droves, Coltman said she overlooked Tracy’s refusal to fill out the paperwork and focused instead on urging him to put disclaimers up on his blog to let readers know that his views did not reflect the views of his employers.

“By not disciplining Dr. Tracy back then for not reporting his blog, were they [university officials] acquiescing to his position?” one of Tracy’s attorneys, Matthew Benzoin asked, later asking: “Do you think it made him believe he was right?”

“I don’t know if I can convey to you the intensity of what was going on this campus,” Coltman said, adding that she thought Tracy would eventually fill out the document.

Had he simply filled out the form, Alperin testified earlier Tuesday, university officials would have cleared the endeavor and allowed him to continue his duties as an associate professor. Instead, Alperin said, he repeatedly ignored supervisors’ demands that he disclose any outside paid work or work that could conflict with his obligations at the school — a requirement for all faculty.

“I think he had been asked to do something for two months, and I can’t think of another company that would allow someone to refuse a supervisor’s directive for that long,” Alperin, now the school’s senior adviser for academic affairs, said Tuesday.

Alperin said university officials had made filling out appropriate disclosure forms a priority after a school official discovered that a professor in the school’s engineering department had been doing outside work helping another organization apply for grants.

Alperin estimated the school received thousands of angry emails after a South Florida Sun-Sentinel article about his blog sparked international headlines. On his blog, Tracy was openly incredulous of government and media accounts that the Sandy Hook school shooting left 26 children and teachers dead.

And his posts were regularly picked up by the Canadian-based website, Global Research, operated by well-known conspiracy theorist Michel Chossudovsky, whose views include claims that the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks were a CIA-backed plot.

University officials were at one point concerned for Tracy’s safety after the backlash, Alperin said, adding that his response to it all took her by surprise.

“I don’t know, he didn’t react as if he was terribly concerned, but that just may be the way he responds,” Alperin said.

The decision to fire Tracy came after he repeatedly refused to fill out the required forms about his outside work, and after he partially complied with the request and revealed he was using university equipment to produce a podcast. She said administrators were also concerned that disclaimers that eventually appeared on his blog were too late and few.

Tracy’s attorneys say the timing of the firing came after a public backlash that included an open letter from the parents of one of the Sandy Hook victims.

Coltman, who left FAU early this year to take a job as provost of James Madison University, will return to the witness stand Wednesday. The trial is expected to end next week.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

NEW: 15 people displaced after fire in Lake Worth
NEW: 15 people displaced after fire in Lake Worth

A fire displaced seven adults and eight children from a Lake Worth apartment complex Monday evening, according to Palm Beach County Fire Rescue. Crews were called to a fire on the 1000 block of 10th Avenue South, just west of South Dixie Highway and south of Sixth Avenue South, where smoke was coming from an apartment. After making their way inside...
NEW: Brightline adds safety features at crossings
NEW: Brightline adds safety features at crossings

Brightline has positioned large electronic signs at several busy rail crossings along its route to warn the public that its new express trains move faster than other rail traffic and to urge people to stay off the tracks when the guard gates go down. Brightline officials said they plan to put 20 signs at crossings between the company’s two...
Megyn Kelly still angry at Jane Fonda, calls her ‘Hanoi Jane’ months after plastic surgery tiff
Megyn Kelly still angry at Jane Fonda, calls her ‘Hanoi Jane’ months after plastic surgery tiff

It seems that neither Megyn Kelly or Jane Fonda has forgotten about that awkward September interview in which Fonda shut Kelly down after the latter asked about possible plastic surgery. >> Read more trending news    In the interview, Kelly asked Fonda about aging and plastic surgery when she and Robert Redford were on &ldquo...
UPDATE: 18-year-old from Boynton Beach found safe

UPDATE, 6:00 p.m.: Boynton Beach police said 18-year-old Christian Azad Baig was found safe by Manalapan police. Original Story: Police are searching for an 18-year-old who was last seen leaving his Boynton Beach home Monday afternoon. Christian Azad Baig left his home on the 400 block of southwest Fourth Avenue, just north of Woolbright Road and west...
JUST IN: PBSO won’t charge man accused of trying to lure kids into car
JUST IN: PBSO won’t charge man accused of trying to lure kids into car

A man who allegedly tried to lure middle-school students into his car Jan. 12 in suburban Boynton Beach has spoken to law-enforcement authorities about the incident and is not facing any charges, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office. Students from Somerset Canyons Middle School told PBSO that the man approached them in a silver...
More Stories