Richard Britt, a Florida Power & Light Co. senior line specialist, had just finished restoring power to 87 houses in a North Miami-Dade County neighborhood where a tree had knocked down a power line during a recent storm.
Britt pulled out his iPad to confirm the problem was solved. Using the device he “pinged” the smart meters on the houses. As that signal was sent, he saw that two meters were not communicating with the FPL network.
Subscribers get total access to this story, and all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive content. Subscribe today, or try a 24-hour or 7-day digital pass.
All Day Access — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24 hours
All Week Access – 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7 days
All Access, All the Time – Print & DigitalView Offers
Post Print Subscriber — I need to register my account for digital access.Access Digital
Registered Post Subscriber — Sign me in.Sign In
What customers with smart meters can do
- Access their energy usage information by the hour, day and month via a personalized Energy Dashboard.
- It can be accessed online at FPL.com. Energy use can also be reviewed by phone with a representative by calling (800) 226-3545.
- Get a projection of their next bill.
- View temperature data to understand the effects temperature and humidity can have on energy use.
- Small business customers can see multiple accounts as groups so they can compare facilities.
What FPL can do
- When a customer reports an outage, the call center representative can communicate with the meter to see whether it is receiving electricity of if the problem is something inside the customer’s home, such as a tripped breaker.
- Restoration crews can check to make sure all customers have power before the crew leaves the area.
- Outages can be detected automatically.
- At most residences, FPL cannot yet turn power off and on remotely, but about 170,000 customers’ residences are enabled with a remote connect-disconnect feature. That program will be expanded to all smart meters by 2014.
Source: Florida Power & Light Co., Juno Beach