Owner Mike Muscat of Custom Signs Today is one of those small business owners who moves the needle on employment, though the recession sent the traditional job creation engine crashing.
A sporadic recovery has sputtered among small business owners because of tighter lending standards, a plummet in personal home equity and continued weak demand for products and services. Even as Small Business Week last week put them in the spotlight, business expansion and hiring lags for small business owners compared with larger companies.
Subscribers get total access to this story, and all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive content. Subscribe today, or try a 24-hour or 7-day digital pass.
Registered Post Subscriber — Sign me in.Sign In
Post Print Subscriber — I need to register my account for digital access.Access Digital
All Day Access — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24 hours
All Week Access — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7 days
All Access, All the Time — Print & DigitalView Offers
Small Business advisers
Palm Beach SCORE chapter
- Nonprofit group advises small businesses
- Offers free counseling, low-cost seminars
- Affiliated with the U.S. Small Business Association
- Contacts: (561) 833-1672 or www.palmbeach.score.org
Small Business Development Center
- Offers free counseling and seminars, low-cost training
Funded through the U.S. Small Business Administration
- Contacts: (561) 862-4726 or www.palmbeachstate.edu/smallbusiness