Between drunken catfights and “completely spontaneous” conversations that are totally non-scripted (yeah, right), members of “The Real Housewives of New York” reality TV series recently debated the age-old question: What’s the difference between Palm Beach and West Palm Beach? Besides one having a “West” in its name?
Glad you asked!
1. When West Palm Beachers stand on the shore and look across the water, they see the homes of people richer than them. When Palm Beachers stand on the shore, they see the Atlantic Ocean. They don’t bother looking at West Palm Beach.
2. Hotels in West Palm Beach are usually less expensive than those on Palm Beach, unless there’s a hurricane and all the people on the island flee across the bridge and snap up the hotel rooms first. Enjoy huddling behind the plywood, peasants!
3. Parking meters are free in downtown West Palm Beach after 7 p.m. on Clematis Street, as compared to the parking meters on Palm Beach’s oceanfront strip, which are $5 an hour.
4. Dressing down in West Palm Beach could mean shorts and flip-flops, while dressing down on Palm Beach is wearing last year’s Lilly dress…but not where anyone knows you.
5. Smart shoppers at Publix stores in West Palm Beach know to get there early to get a good parking space. Smart shoppers at the Palm Beach Publix just use the valet.
6. There is actually a beach on Palm Beach.