Here’s some good news for health-seeking followers of Dr. Andrew Weil, America’s best-known advocate of anti-inflammatory foods: Weil’s True Food Kitchen will open a location in Boca Raton later this month.
The casual, holistic foods restaurant debuts Feb. 21 in Boca’s Town Center, making it South Florida’s first True Food Kitchen. The chain has a location in Naples.
In Boca, the concept co-founded by Weil and Phoenix restaurateur Sam Fox nearly a decade ago will inhabit more than 7200 square feet at the mall, offering indoor and outdoor dining areas serviced by an open kitchen.
But before you think a menu rooted in anti-inflammatory foods might be dull, take a glance at some of the offerings:
- Charred cauliflower with harissa tahini, medjool date, dill, mint and pistachios; edamame dumplings with dashi, white truffle oil and Asian herbs.
- Chicken sausage pizza with organic tomato, roasted fennel and scamorza cheese.
- An ancient grains bowl with miso-glazed sweet potato, turmeric, charred onion, snow pea, grilled Portobello, avocado and hemp seed.
- A grass-fed burger with mushroom, caramelized onion, arugula, Parmesan and mayo on a flaxseed bun.
- Poke bowl of wild-caught albacore with avocado, quinoa, veggies, cashews, ginger and turmeric ponzu.
- Grilled fish or grass-fed steak tacos with toppings.
Add a wide range of teas, tonics, juices, smoothies, grownup cocktails, soups, salads, sandwiches, desserts and a kids’ menu and you’ve got options that require some deliberation.
Last year, the Washington Post gave True Food Kitchen’s Bethesda location two of four stars (means “good”), calling the food “for the most part fresh and fun.”
Food critic Tom Sietsema noted the place and its staff are sold on the concept’s devotion to clean eating.
“If it starts out preachy, True Food Kitchen has the power to make believers out of skeptics,” he wrote. “Praise the pizza and pass the pudding.”
The partnership between the integrative medicine guru (Weil) and a repeated nominee for the James Beard Award for Restaurateur of the Year (Fox) has been a successful one. With the addition of the Boca Raton restaurant, True Food Kitchen now boasts 22 national locations. This will be the second Fox-related restaurant at Town Center – Zinburger Wine & Burger Bar is also part of the Fox Restaurant Concepts group.
True Food Kitchen: Coming Wednesday, Feb. 21
- Location: 6000 Glades Rd. (unit 1015A at Town Center), Boca Raton; 561-419-8105
- Hours: to be open Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., with brunch service on Saturday and Sunday to 3 p.m.